- Albayrak, A.
- Boeijen, A.G.C. van
- Boersema, T.
- Boess, S.U.
- Calabretta, G.
- Cankurtaran, P.
- Coimbra Cardoso, C.M.
- Creusen, M.E.H.
- Daalhuizen, J.J.
- Dekker, M.C.
- Diehl, J.C.
- Flipsen, S.F.J.
- Gielen, M.A.
- Grondelle, E.D. van
- Hajian, M.
- Hende, E.A. van den
- Jansen, A.J.
- Jong, A.M. de
- Karana, E.
- Kester, L.
- Koster, R.P.
- Kuijk, J.I. van
- Melles, M.
- Moes, C.C.M.
- Opiyo, E.Z.
- Ozcan Vieira, E.
- Parmar, V.S.
- Peck, D.P.
- Person, O.
- Pohlmeyer, A.E.
- Romero Herrera, N.A.
- Rozendaal, M.C.
- Ruiter, I.A.
- Rusák, Z.
- Simonse, L.W.L
- Sleeswijk Visser, F.
- Song, Y.
- Sonneveld, M.H.
- Tromp, N.
- Vegte, W.F. van der
- Verlinden, J.C.
- Vermeeren, A.P.O.S.
- Visch, V.T.
- Vroom, R.W.
- Wever, R.
- Zamani, M.
Towards a sustainable bio-based future!
+31 (0)15 27 85977
Ir. R.P. Koster (Rolf)
Mr. Koster obtained his MSc. in Materials Science at Delft University of Technology in 1980. His first occupations were at an electric power cable factory, a consultancy on indoor air quality, and the Plastics Technology group of Twente University, The Netherlands. At Northrop Aircraft in Southern California, he cooperated in developing manufacturing methods for new composite materials. At Philips Electronics, The Netherlands, he worked as a materials and product development consultant for domestic appliances, and as an application scientist in transmission electron microscopy. His next career step was at University College IJselland where he helped initiate the new Materials Engineering curriculum.
In 1992 he joined the Reliability & Durability Section at the Delft Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering. In 2001 he obtained the certificate of Register Polymer Scientist (RPK) from the Netherlands Polymer Technology Foundation (PTN), after passing examinations in advanced polymer physics, properties, rheology and processing. Current (PhD) research focuses on eco-effective product design and manufacturing with bio-based materials, with considerable industrial involvement.
Additional activity: contribution to work group of PAO Foundation for post-graduate courses.
- Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE), including Product Design & Development Division and Bioplastics Special Interest Group;
- Netherlands Royal Society of Engineers (KIVI-NIRIA).
- 2001: Certified Polymer Scientist (RPK) - National Dutch research School of PTN
- 1980: MSc, Materials Science - Delft University
- 1981-2007: 18 short courses and 6 long courses including Aircraft Conceptual Design and Industrial Product Developmen
- Since 1992: Delft University, current position
- 1991-1992: University College IJselland, Deventer NL
- 1989-1991: Philips Electron Optics, Eindhoven NL
- 1987-1989: Philips Domestic Appliances and Personal Care, Drachten, NL
- 1983-1987: Northrop Aircraft, Hawthorne (CA) USA
- 1982-1983: Twente University, Enschede NL
- 1981-1982: Surface Technology Center, Haarlem NL
- 1980: Netherlands Power Cable Factory, Delft NL
Field of research
Product design with organic materials.
Application of bio-based plastics and innovative organic materials.
- Integrated approaches for eco-effective product design and manufacturing
- Proper utilization of secure resources for materials and products anywhere in the world.
- lean design principles in product design practice
- bio-inspiration in product funtionality
- cradle-to-cradle philosophy (in part an appealing combination of the previous two guiding principles)
- open innovation principles in collaborative product development
Lectures and/or coaches students on:
- IO2051 - Product Ontwerpen 4
- IO2071 - Technische Productoptimalisatie
- IO3900 - BSc Final Project
- ID4125 - Life Cycle Engineering and Design
- ID4155 - Project Advanced Products
- ID5421 - Designing and Manufacturing Plastics Products (including annual bioplastics workshop)
- Graduation projects (chair or coach)
- As needed: plastics products manufacturing demo or hands-on (injection molding)
- Occasional consultancy for other courses and projects on products design and manufacturing with (bio-based) plastics and innovative organic materials
Click here for an overview of my publications.